How many times have you grabbed breakfast as you ran out the door, or eaten your lunch with one hand while typing with the other, not to mention how often we eat in front of the TV or laptop? Given the fast paced nature of our culture, it is no surprise that we often multi-task right through meal times. Mindless eating can lead to overeating, making poor food choices, and ignoring our body’s signals that notify us as to when we are full. Mindful eating is designed to increase your awareness of what and how much you are eating.
Try these tips to increase your mindfulness:
- Enjoy and savor each bite, trying to decipher and taste all of the flavors
- Turn off the TV, put away the newspaper, and close the laptop while you are eating
- Put the proper portions on a plate and try to make the meal last at least 20 minutes
- Put your eating utensil down between each bite
- Chew and swallow each bite before picking up your utensil again
- Eat sitting down at a table
- Eat with your non-dominant hand
- Take a sip of your drink between every few bites
Be Healthy. Be Balanced.
-Alicia and Nikki